The Joshua Camp
After 3 days of training, there will be 8 days of Outreach. During the afternoons and evenings, participants will be sent in teams to serve at various key churches and venues across London, utilising any skills mentioned in the registration form:
- Hospitality Centres in Westminster Cathedral and St Francis in Stratford, offering tea and respite
- Sports Missions to engage youth and build communities
- Social Outreach with anti-human trafficking organisation Stop the Traffick
- Creative and Performing Arts on the Streets
- ‘Nightfever’ Evening Evangelisation
- Children’s & Youth Activities
- Running Community Festivals (face painting, nail painting, balloon modelling etc.)
- Practical service projects e.g. handing out free water/Mass times
- Prayer walking; vital intercession for peace during The Games and for all the outreach projects.
- Street Evangelisation
- 24h Adoration relay
Are you from London? Could you organise a project to receive teams from the Joshua Camp?
We are looking for people who have a heart to serve the Church, and want to see the good news spread! Can you give some time supporting a Parish or group to put on an event during the camp?
During the Olympic Games in 2012 More than Gold is encouraging the UK Christians to reach out to their communities and the visitors coming to London during the Games (see www.morethangold.org.uk). The atmosphere during this time will be unique and with it comes a fantastic opportunity for the Church to 'host the party'.
Although we know many Catholic Parishes want to respond to the challenge, we are aware they may need help in organising these events. If you feel enthusiastic and yet ill-equipped, the Sion Community is happy to support you in this task. If you would like to organise an outreach project please e-mail the Outreach Co-ordinator and we will send you more information on how you can help.
As well as this there is plenty of scope for other non-Parish based projects in popular locations e.g. Outdoor festivals.
Perhaps you already have ideas; it could be a one day event, or something that goes on throughout the 8 day period. The possibilities are endless; from intercessory prayer teams going around the city publicising Mass times/prayer events for those visiting during the games, to a 'Spirit in the City' type festival - with creative and performing arts.